Thursday, February 24, 2011

Have a drink for me....

Usually I am the most hydrated person around. However, the cold weather broke my water drinking habit. It doesn't really make sense but if I am cold - the last thing I want is water. It's just barely warm enough to sweat during workouts so I forget to drink water, etc, etc. This is a reminder to you and MYSELF to pick up the water bottle again. I am starting to feel the effects of dehydration.....




Hydration is always important and almost every one of us is walking around dehydrated and with spring/summer just around the corner it's even more important to drink up!

  • Dehydration impairs both physical and mental performance in all types and levels of sport, yet it can be easily avoided.
  • Did you know, even low levels of dehydration have physiological consequences? A loss of 2% body weight (just 2lbs for a 150lb person) causes an increase in perceived effort and is claimed to reduce performance by 10-20% .
How can you tell if you need more water?

  1. A simple way, is to notice the color of your urine - the less color the better!
  2. For another quick test - press your thumbs into the inside of your shin bone (the flat portion of your tibia). If you can see an imprint when you remove your thumb - you're dehydrated!
Try it and let me know if you past the test.
I've challenged several of my clients to drink at least one gallon of water every day! Are you up for the challenge?

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking about this to someone the other day...the winter season has me drinking an embarrassingly little amount of water/any liquid! This past week, being warmer than usual, I was QUICKLY reminded of how much water I should be taking in.

    I'm glad summer is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete