You know What's in My Food Log - and if you know me at all, is it really a surprise that I have a food log for Jacob? Ok, so it's not a food log really - it's an outline of sorts so I can remember what he's eating each day!
Jacob is 11 months old and a FREAKING BLAST!! While he may not need a food log to stay sane like his mom - he needs something to help me keep my head on straight while ensuring he gets proper nutrition. This is when breastfeeding is "easy" - I know what I eat hence I know what he gets! But that all changed once he started eating more solids. He started really being interested in solid (use that term lightly b/c it's really "mush") food around 9 months and within the last 4-5 weeks he's decided he would rather have "real food" rather than "mama's milk".
Excited by the freedom that weaning gives me and terrified of what to put in his body - I did a little reading, asked a lot of other health conscience aka hippy moms, and experimented to figure out what Jacob and I could agree on! I reviewed the Super Baby Food book - made my most educated guess on WHY she was recommending the system she did and then tweaked to fit my gluten/dairy free beliefs.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a nutritionist, I do not have a degree in nutrition, I simply believe in balanced diets with whole foods and healthy fats when at all possible!
Jacob's Food Log In a nutshell:
Goal: Get a balance of veggie/fruit/lots of healthy fat/light on protein
- Add Vit D drops, Coconut oil, Omega Fat to something everyday (supplement if you will)
- 2-3x a Day 6oz of Almond Milk, Goat's Milk OR Goat's Milk Formula - recipe coming soon
- At least 1 serving every day of Super Green Veggies
- At least 1 serving every day of Vitamin C veg/fruits
- At least 1 serving every day of Vitamin A veg/fruits
2-3x a Week:
To help keep this straight in my I head I unofficially denote days of the week to the food.
- Oatmeal Porridge (M/W/F)- recipe coming soon
- EggYolk 2-3x a week (Tu/Th/Sat)
- Plain Greek Yogurt or Goat's Milk Yogurt
- Almond Butter (usually when he has yogurt)
- Ground turkey (usually days that he doesn't have egg)
- "Other" veg/fruit
Gluten - Dairy (greek yogurt exception) - Corn - Soy - Processed Foods
Super Green Veggies Vit C Veg/Fruit Vit A Veg/Fruit "Other"