Each year Jeremy challenges us in December to create a mantra for the upcoming year. This is the 3rd year I've done it!
- 2010 Mantra: Live as if Everything You Do Will Eventually Be Known
- 2011 Mantra: Became a series of mantras changing throughout the year to accompany my goal of going to The Reebok 2011 CrossFit Games
- 2012 Mantra: With Childlike Spirit .......which started off like THIS and ended up more literally like THIS
I figured with last year's becoming so real :) - I should pick something that was a little less dramatic if it came to life!
For those of you who have participated in the Landmark Forum you may "get it" - However, I realize for a MOST of the world it sounds like the lamest Mantra ever!!! Why would anyone choose vanilla? Vanilla = conventional, bland, unexciting. In fact here is what the Urban Dictionary had to say:
Definition of vanilla
So what does it mean to me?
I Choose Vanilla: Means that I CHOOSE and accept everything that comes my way in 2013. I choose "it" just because I "choose" it! The faster I can adjust/adapt/accept the path that I am on - that I am creating - that God has planned for me - the EASIER my life is! I am notorious for expending obscene amounts of mental and phyisical energy "fighting" against imaginary battles or against enemies that I can't control! I Choose Vanilla is a way to remind myself that the path I am on can be easy and that life is not a fight but a journey (yep, I just wrote that #cheesyIknow)
Some examples of I Choose Vanilla so in 2013:
- My timeline is HIS timeline - Life is easy when my plans are made around Jacob's schedule. Once I got that down - getting stuff done, making appointments, etc became 100% better. ie: my schedule would have been to post a 2013 Mantra in January - his schedule gave me time in mid-March :)
- This is what I do at night - Staying up and/or holding a baby for HOURS so that he can go to sleep was oddly one of the hardest adjustments for me to make. I wanted so badly to fight this - to "make" him sleep quicker - but surrender brings an entirely new joy to the task and the ability to enjoy Jacob as a baby (P.S. he is already 6 months old!!!!)
- This is my body...(for now)..... don't fight nature or time - You'll lose everyday! It's actually pretty amazing.
- Going Individual...more on that soon....
This is NOW: